Caviar is one of those things that you don’t usually associate with skincare.
Yet, caviar face creams are a thing.
As with the food industry, caviar is associated with a more luxurious experience in skincare too, with products ranging from tens to hundreds of dollars.
The term ‘caviar cream’ has been connected with La Prairie’s product the most – in fact, both are used interchangeably nowadays.
In this article, I’ll introduce you to caviar in the context of skincare and go over the following:
- The benefits of caviar for the skin;
- What caviar can do for aging;
- What it can offer for acne;
- The best caviar face creams currently on the market.
Caviar skin benefits
As we know from a culinary perspective, caviar is basically unfertilized fish eggs.
In skin care, caviar extract is commonly infused into a wide variety of products, most of which are considered high-end and luxurious.
From a cosmetics perspective, caviar is an emollient active ingredient that provides a range of advantages. Some of the caviar skin benefits include an increase in skin hydration and moisture retention, fine line plumping, anti-inflammatory properties, and oxidative stress protection.
Let’s explore the benefits of caviar for the skin in more detail:
- Feeds your skin – caviar contains invaluable omega-3 and 6, amino acids, vitamins, and antioxidants which are well-known skin-loving compounds.
- Moisture retention – the fatty acids in caviar lock in moisture and protect the skin’s natural barrier. Caviar hydrates the skin and reduces flaking.
- UV ray protection – although it can’t fully substitute your SPF, caviar contains antioxidants that protect the skin against the harmful effects of the sun and other environmental stressors.
- Prevents elastin loss – caviar’s antioxidant properties reduce the risks of elastin breakdown, and protect your collagen levels, thus resulting in younger-looking skin.
- Supports collagen production – not only does it protect, but it also stimulates collagen production and ceramide formation in skin cells. and ceramides in the skin cells.
Unless you are allergic to fish or shellfish, caviar is safe to have in your skincare, and even sensitive skin types can benefit from it.
Is caviar good for anti-aging?
Studies have shown that caviar is effective as an anti-aging agent and has been proven to reduce the signs of premature aging. It does so by boosting the skin’s protection against oxidative stress while working on building back lost collagen in the skin. Caviar is also documented to show improvement in both texture and color by evening out the tone.
Does caviar help with acne?
Unfortunately, no studies support that caviar is an effective acne treatment. However, caviar is a great moisturizer that can benefit the healing process of acne-prone skin. As a result, the skin will return back to its healthy condition more quickly.
Keep in mind that some caviar skincare can be a bit heavy and may not absorb into the skin all that well. As it’s rich in oils and protein, it’s mostly recommended for dry and aging skin.
4 of the best caviar face creams on the market
Now, let’s talk about the best caviar face creams out there.
You can find caviar creams at many different price points but if you’re a true skincare addict, you probably associate caviar with the luxury cream by La Prairie. Well, I’ll tell you about it, but I will also give you some other alternatives that you can try.
Medix 5.5 Collagen Cream + Caviar
Let’s start with a more affordable option although I think that they might discontinue it soon if not already.
Medix 5.5 Collagen Cream + Caviar Cream costs around $20 for a HUGE bottle of 444 ml or 15 oz. Its formula is targeted toward anti-aging benefits, like lifting, firming, and tightening.
The original formula features caviar, but now it has been reformulated with peptides instead – another great group of ingredients that have proven effects on aging skin. You can still get the caviar formula if you order this one, although I wouldn’t count on it as certainty.
The lotion replenishes skin moisture and is suitable for dry, acne-prone skin. It’s very effective for supporting the skin barrier in its healing capabilities and the bottle is so big that you can use it for your entire body.
Here, we see:
- Antioxidants like rosemary leaf extract, tocopherol, carrot root extract, and Panax ginseng root extract, protect against oxidative stress and UV light.
- Aloe vera soothes the skin, hydrates it in depths, and calms irritation and redness.
- Glycerin pulls water from the air and helps the skin retain moisture. It also acts as a protective barrier against pollution.
- Omega 3 fatty acids offer balanced hydration and nourish the skin, reduce signs of aging, and control oil production.
I love that this cream isn’t greasy, hydrates well, and the smell is very light. Once I applied the moisturizer to my skin it instantly felt replenished and my skin just drank it up! It’s an overall great moisturizer for both the face and the body, and it’s great value for money.
Skinfood Gold Caviar EX Cream
The Skinfood Gold Caviar EX Cream is the only product on this list that has a disclosed percentage of caviar extract – this is awesome! I wish more brands did this.
We have a 10% caviar extract in this cream – in second place in the INCI list.
This caviar-based cream is suitable for both day and evening use and you can count on it for a good level of hydration, elasticity, and nutrition.
As a cocktail of caviar and gold, the product increases blood circulation and radiates the skin. Other supportive and enriching ingredients in this cream are:
- Antioxidants, including turmeric root extract, safflower seed oil, and salvia hispanica seed oil.
- Adenosine and two peptides – acetyl hexapeptide-8 and palmitoyl pentapeptide-4 are the other soldiers in this formula that battle the signs of aging, reduce wrinkles, and energize the skin.
- We have glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and linoleic acid to lock in moisture and instantly plump up the skin while working to support our skin barrier.
- Last but not least, panthenol and turmeric extract, soothe and calm any irritation you may have, reduce redness, and fight inflammation.
This is another affordable product. Korean skincare is known for its effectiveness and this did not fall behind – I noticed pretty quick results in terms of smooth complexion and increased firmness.
The only note I’d like to make is that it can be a bit of a challenge to get your hands on this – it’s almost always sold out on Amazon, and your other online retailers include YesStyle and Stylevana.
Makari Caviar Hydrating Face Cream
We now step into a more luxurious experience with the Makari Caviar Hydrating Face Cream.
It sells for around $55 for a jar of 1 oz or 30 ml and is everything you can expect from a high-end moisturizer.
It nourishes, hydrates, and overall pampers skin that has been damaged by the sun or is well into aging. It has some great skin tone-unifying abilities thanks to the many skin-brightening ingredients in the formula.
And if you suffer from adult acne – this has salicylic acid in it. It will keep your pores well-maintained and clear. People with dry, normal, and aging skin will see the most benefits from this cream.
The cream’s formula helps it reduce the signs of aging and prevent blemishes and marks thanks to its brightening capabilities.
I wouldn’t recommend this cream to folks with combo or oily skin – it’s too rich and can feel heavy.
La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream
We’ve come to the pinnacle in this article. As I mentioned above, the La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream is perhaps the most popular caviar moisturizer out there.
It’s a luxury-grade product with a substantial price tag.
If you’re not among the blessed few who can afford to spend a couple of hundred on a moisturizer, better don’t waste your time on the rest of this article and opt for one of the cheaper options above.
However, if money is not a concern for you and you can classify yourself as a skincare connoisseur who loves to indulge yourself, then, by all means, continue.
From looking at this caviar cream ingredient list, you wouldn’t say that it’s anything unusual or extraordinary but the fact is – this caviar cream has a cult following.
There have been people who actively use the cream for years and years. They are happy with the product and don’t want to swap it with anything else. So how did I get my hands on it?
No, I didn’t buy it, although once I tried it I really came to regret even sniffing it once, as I instantly got hooked in. I got a few scoops of it from my mother-in-law, for testing purposes. It’s the best face moisturizer I’ve ever used. Period.
And it’s not about the ingredients, although there are some great ones, it’s about the entire experience that this moisturizer gives.
The cream’s formula features:
- Antioxidants such as camellia sinensis leaf extract, matricaria flower extract, tocopherol, and Panax ginseng root extract. This helps to shield the skin’s surface from oxidative harm from free radicals and environmental aggressors like UV and pollution.
- Retinyl palmitate – a retinoid and therefore a form of vitamin A that battles all signs of aging and reduces fine lines and wrinkles, evens out the skin tone, corrects the texture, and diminishes dark spots. It’s ideal for aging skin.
- Malic acid and lactic acid are exfoliating acids that speed up cell turnover by removing dead skin cells which helps to unravel younger-looking skin. They also smooth out the surface of the skin, making it look nice and baby-like.
- Shea butter, hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and glycerin are all extremely valuable hydrating and moisturizing agents that also protect the natural skin barrier.
- Equisetum arvense extract, borago officinalis seed oil, camellia sinensis leaf extract, matricaria flower extract, and lactobacillus ferment are powerful soothing agents that nourish and repair dry and irritated skin.
The cream itself feels extremely lightweight and nicely glides on the skin. It refines, firms, and smoothes out imperfections, making your skin feel supple, healthy, and revived. When testing it, I did notice that my pores shrunk in size and my skin texture looked good.
I’d like to offer some advice if you’re shopping this product from Amazon – do use this specific listing as there are many fakes on the market.
Also, make sure to double-check your product when you get it – the package needs to be well-sealed and the jar should look substantial.
If you notice that there are any signs of previous use or that the jar has already been opened, return it immediately and ask for a full refund.
I hope that you now feel more confident on the matter of caviar in skincare.
If you have any experience with any of the mentioned above products, don’t hesitate to share your feedback and stories in the comments section below!
If you have sensitive or easily sensitized skin, chances are you get irritated by alcohol in skincare. So, a face moisturizer without alcohol is a must for you. Luckily, these days brands don’t put denatured alcohol a lot into face creams, so the range of products...
A popular myth is that teens shouldn’t use a face cream because their skin is too oily and acne-prone anyway, so why add anything else to aggravate it? Untrue. Teenage skin, just like any other skin, requires sufficient moisturization in order to stay healthy and...
Naturium is one of the few brands to have a dedicated line of body products that double as skincare too. Not only that, but they’re super affordable! Being prone to backne and very into proper skin care, it’s no wonder that I felt a strong pull to try all of their...